Sunday, June 28, 2009

Old City --> Mall Culture

Standing outside of what it seems to be the most sophisticated mall of Hyderbad, GVK One has made me walk down the memory lane to recollect the streets of Koti on busy Sunday evening.

If you're a Hyderabadi of my generation, then all your shopping thirst, ten years back most probably has been quenched at any of the places like Charminar or Koti or General Bazar. And the very same generation now complains about these places that they are too crowded, too suffocating and too narrow for our new found way of living.

However, being at GVK this evening has made me wonder if its just that a casette called "Koti" has been converted to a DVD called "GVK One". The base of it remains all the same, the same crowd, the same chaos, the same shopaholics, but so damn sophisticated in every possible way.

3 comments:

D.S.Murty said...

I too feel the difference. I could recollect the days i walked on the roads of Koti when i was in Osmania Medical College Hostel in 1990s. The koti is still a CD, but trying to accommodate as much data as of a DVD..! Still i love to browse Koti whenever I visit Hyd (almost every two months to see my parents), i make it a point to come to koti on sundays. to see books. i start my journey from women's college via andhrabank and SBI to eventually land up in Abids. by the time i leave the place i usually have a bagful of books. when i reach home, my wife and father throw some scornful looks at the bag...! My mother smiles at them and challenges that i will never change. Somehow i dont like the shopping malls. I feel they are congested. AC may be running in some but with diminishing oxygen and accumulating carbon dioxide. and waiting more time for billing than for actual shopping.

మోహన said...

if its just that a casette called "Koti" has been converted to a DVD called "GVK One".
:D nice thot..

chavakiran said...

:)