Friday, June 26, 2009

Oh.. Lady! :)

Dorothy Parker! Ever since I stumbled upon her, she keeps me amused. The first time I met her, she was like speaking a gal's heart with great ease. And then, through her poems I found that she speaks her heart even better. (Not many can do that, ones who are so damn good at stretching to step into some other end up being dumb in their own case!)

I'm dying (agreed, that's exaggeration!) to read her works  as soon as possible. Hopefully I'll get my hands on a copy soon!

Meanwhile, here are few lines from her various poems.

Some men break your heart in two,
Some men fawn and flatter,
Some men never look at you;
And that cleans up the matter. 
          By the time you swear you're his,
Shivering and sighing,
And he vows his passion is
Infinite, undying -
Lady, make a note of this:
One of you is lying.   Once, when I was young and true,
Someone left me sad-
Broke my brittle heart in two;
And that is very bad.

Love is for unlucky folk,
Love is but a curse.
Once there was a heart I broke;
And that, I think, is worse.  

3 comments:

D.S.Murty said...

I've read few(really very few)of her poems previously in a review. and some more, from the link provided by you. Nice poetry. Innocent expressions weaved in intellegent articulation.
But at the same time i also felt that some aura of pessimism hides (or tries to hide) behind that ease and luxurious rhyming.

Srujana Ramanujan said...

Nice poem to share

Purnima said...

@murtyds: What a coincidence! There was a nice li'l chat about Kafka with my friend (on the day you commented) and end of it we came to a similar conclusion, "people have way with words, that even the meanest and harshest of thoughts sound good." :)