Thursday, July 2, 2009

can't-be-read as well please..

You've set up a meeting with a person, you make it and then you walk away mid-way through it. Sounds rude?

You've set up a meeting with a person (well known or otherwise), you make it. It starts off well, both of you seem interested in one another, but as it goes on the charm lessens, you feel the void, you need to force yourself to move on and then comes a time to call it quits. And then you walk away mid-way through, with or without a proper bye. Sounds reasonable?

This is exactly what happens to me with some of the books. Though every single book I spend time with is carefully chosen only after knowingly it in all ways possible, there at times harsh realizations that they don't suit me. We just can't get along. When it comes to forcing out things upon self or others, I'm miserable. It isn't the book that's at fault, it is my inability - yet, at that point both of us can't be together. So, there are fair enough books that can't-be-read by me.

These book-management software(s) which I heavily rely upon (at least to handle my "to-be-read" shelf) put me in a spot of bother. As it is, my current-reading shelf would always be loaded and added to that, I can't decide where to put these abandoned books. I read them, even if that's with inattention. I've been with them, though not cherished all along. I left them middle, yet I know them in parts. How dearly do I wish there is a category, "couldn't complete", "can't-be-read" or "dumped"!

May be, not many face this problem, only people like me who're impossibly demanding!

(Explored goodreads.com today, too early to comment!)

4 comments:

chavakiran said...

write your own tool :)

D.S.Murty said...

" మందార మకరంద మాధుర్యమున దేలు మధుపంబు వోవునే ? మదనములకు
నిర్మల మందాకినీ వీచికల దూగు రాయంచ చనునే ? తరంగిణులకు
లలిత రసాల పల్లవ ఖాదియై చొక్కు కోయిల సేరునే ? కుటజములకు
పూర్ణేందు చంద్రికా స్ఫురిత చకోరకమరుగునే ?
సాంద్ర నీహారములకు "
అని పోతనగారేనాడో భాగవతంలో చెప్పారు. ( అంటే : మందార మకరందాల తీపి చూసిన తుమ్మెద వుమ్మెత్త పూలను చేరుతుందా. ఆకాశ గంగా తరంగాలలో ఉయలులూగిన రాజహంస వాగులకూ వంకలకూ వెళ్తుందా ? తీయని మామిడి లేత చివుళ్ళను తిని పరవశించే కోయిల కొండ మల్లెలను కోరుతుందా ? పండు వెన్నెల బయళ్ళలో విహరించే చకోరం మంచు పొగలవైపు వెళ్తుందా ? " )
దానికి కొంచెం మారిస్తే : మంచి పుస్తకాల రుచికి అలవాటు పడిన పూర్ణిమ నచ్చని పుస్తకాల అమావాస్య ను చూస్తుందా ? అని రాయచ్చేమో.

sometimes it is very difficult to finish some books, which can not create any interest. But, there is some paradox. I sometimes, when in good mood, ofcourse, read such books, just to analyse, why those books are like that. what is lacking in them (or in the author..!).
and occasionally, i donot complete very good books too. I read some pages, and keep them pending. I never want to finish them. I want to cherish the feeling of such incomplete reading of good books, to motivate me to probe other books. Like, Keats somewhere says , "unheard melodies".. these are "unread books".
And with time, both good and bad books accumulate in the shelf. we can't and don't get rid of them. Like our minds, with several kinds of memories. Only thing, we can keep them in the back portion of the shelf or neatly packed in cartons, till we feel it is justified to throw them away ( applies to memories too, isn't it.)

Purnima said...

chavakiran: :) Well, "please" was just to emphasize that I'm not to keen on writing on my own! :P

murtyds: Hmmm.. "finish"ing part.. I understand! :)

Nagaraju Pappu said...

i need another category:
"books that are reading me"
how have you been? don't see much of you hanging around in gtalk?!
cheers,
nagaraj