Sunday, May 31, 2009

Nadal.. OUT!

Hard to believe, comes as a shocker that Nadal is thrashed out of the French Open. I can imagine him going down on any other surfaces, but definitely not on clay. He isn't called the "King of Clay" for no reason. 
Well, I thoroughly regret for not watching the match tonight. I can put the blame on 30 minute power cut too, but I presumed Rafa can't be defeated. Over the past few years, my observation has been that, though the 20-30 seeded guys, make the champs work hard for every single point at various stages of a slam, they have an usual knack of gifting away crucial points at crunch times. The sign of being a champ is this, give them slightest of opening to creep in and they would end up having their foot on your throat.

Though Soderling was showing signs of taking it away from Nadal, he was erratic far too many times. And following Nadal over years, he would be one to cash on any slightest of chances. Not sure, what happened today. Was it one man's brilliance? Or dismal performance by the other? Or both?

Whatever! My real regret is that, I've not talked to anybody about French Open this season. Did not, at all, pull anybody into  "my roger - your rafa" kind of spats. This an occasion wasted where I can't tease all of my friends, who are ardent fans of Nadal. That said, with Roger not being very convincing so far, probably these guys will have an equal chance of pulling my leg. Tomorrow will be the answer.

For now, the news is that the King of Clay has vacated his own palace.

Not to forget: TAKE A BOW, Solderling!

1 comment:

Srujana Ramanujan said...

Ultimate sporting tragedy of these times. He's jeered by those mad French crowds