Sunday, November 2, 2008

Fashion - All about chasing dreams

I watched this movie "Fashion" only a couple of hours ago, and that it's images are still so very fresh in me,  seems like this the moment to put it in words. Not only that, ever since I came out of the theater, though I've been through the bustling city to get back home and then surrounded by decent enough set of noises around, few of which are now taken care by the midnight; yet I've this strange feeling that I'm surrounded by deafening silence. May be, I'm out of the theater, but not out of the movie. Hmm..may be.

So, did I like the movie? I liked it! "Hum jab sapne dekhte hain, tho koi yeh nahi pataata ki hume kya kuch khonaa paDegaa?" is one the lines of voice over (Priyanka Chopra) and that really sums up the story. We all dream, dream big! And some of us really have the guts to chase these dreams. They go all out, they give it themselves, so much so that there is no single moment to track back without the dream. Alas! But only to realize that they have lost everything and anything in the process and right now, there are amidst the ruins of their success. It's like on the top of the mountain, you feel empty! The promos said "... you lose more than your morals.." and I wondered what that could be! It is losing SELF, becoming an absolute stranger to one's own self!

For me, the fashion world was realistically portrayed, not that I know a whole deal about it! Time and again, I felt I've been witnessing the stuff here and there, in particular the Shonali (Kangana Ranuat) episode! I get to see these fashion news at times and it did look all so familiar for me, though the shades were unknown. What I loved about the movie was that there was no "bollywood" kind of treatment to it. Her first love/affair wasn't waiting for her to realize her mistake and he would be the rock kinda stuff to her. The lady in the lead was just an other ambitious gal, who thought she knew her business and lost the path. There aren't any social dramas, a gal from a middle class Chandigarh family grows into a India's No.1 Supermodel and falls down, just exactly as it happens in real world.

There is no moral treatment to the story. It was not preaching about what is good and what's bad in our society. It was only about how can you get along the path of your dreams, when the thorns of reality are pricking. Can you still hold onto self or would you in the mad run, lose to yourself? In this be-always-on-top competitive world, it's so hard to hold onto dreams/success and self together. Most times it is one winning over the other.

I felt the concentration was li'l too much on the big leads in it and the super success lives in the fashion world. Which I felt was incomplete. Modeling is such a tough job, a single scar on the face or a single fumble on the ramp can ruin the entire career. It's not always the money-minded sponsors or the ill-intentioned guys that spoil the party. I wish, the movie had those kind of insecurities, the challenges, the struggles, the hardwork,  the emotions and the actual workouts, to make it complete. Insights into models' own mind would have made it even better. Would still take, because this is supposed to be a work of fiction, and not really a documentary.

I don't know if to call it typical bollywood ending, as Priyanka Chopra rises from the disasters and proves herself, all over once again. She gets a standing ovation at the end, but I felt when you have such a support as she had, be it friends or family, that it is not that impossible. As her one of the voice-over lines states.. "kuch rishte aise hote hai ki, unhe apnaane ke liye haat bhi phailaaana nahi paDtaa"! Lucky ones are the few, as the rest are dusted as Shonali.

Am I out of the movie? No, not yet! :-)

3 comments:

Sujata M said...

Very good poornima. I think thse strong impressions that the film leaves on us is really a nice thing about films.

I am looking fwd to watch the movie. sujata

Mahita said...

loved the post da... fantastic, straight out of the gut. let me watch the movie and see what impression it leaves on me...

Kathi Mahesh Kumar said...

good insights.