Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Books v. Cigarettes

Read this book. No, conversed with it. Wanna write about it, something in the least, if not the wholesome feeling I had after completing it. "How do you like a book?" should be an easy question for me at least, since I least hesitate to accept my ignorance or inability to comprehend or my very  persistent opinions about few. Yes, this is not about why and how I like it, rather celebrating the rendezvous.

It was an unexpected call for a B'day party. Very common with me, to forget the special days and dates, so it comes as no surprise for anybody. The lunch was planned to be in City Center. The only reason, if ever I get excited to visit a mall is that there might be a possibility to spend a while in bookstore. (Honestly, I like the elaborate lunches too ;-) ) Since there was no possibility of sneaking in time when guest at a party, was there with least excitement.

Luckily for me, and not so luckily for many ravenous guys around, we were asked to wait. That is when I literally ran to Crosswords and straight to the classic sections. Wanted to pick, Tagore's  My Life in my words, which was not to be there in the whole lot of new collection. I've been quite impressed by the collection of classics at these place. Italo Calvino's book was what I was looking for, when my eyes caught the title "Books v. Cigarettes". George Orwell's name next to the title exhilarated. Never heard about it, a quick browse of the book, helped me accrete the exhilirtion. Marcel Proust's My Reading Days was the other unkown book I fetched.

Having the books on my desk was like having a very close friend waiting for you in the reception of your office and you caught up in an ineffectual meeting. Thankfully, time passes! The moment I was back home, I just couldn't wait for a moment to stop myself from the book. Opened, this particular one, my hands round it, my eyes all busy collecting the black letters on the white page, mind engaged with the thoughts behind the letters and the constant smile on my lips. It got a li'l over my head at times, with no intention of complaints though. The intense conversations were with: a writer at places, a disappointed ex-book salesperson, an obligated book reviewer, a lucky enough patient in a Latin hospital and the best part, a school kid with all insecurities. 

One of the reasons why I hook so much to the presence of books is that, the "listener" in me is at work. No, I'm not silent in it. As a matter of fact, it's me whole completes the conversation :-) At times, you meet some people during travel, absolute strangers, yet you strike the chord and keep talking about all the things or the earth. And you just keep listening to them, sometimes excited, sometimes bored, sometimes with wavering mind but most of the times very interested. The experience of the book as more or less the same for me! "I loved it!" is the statement the usually comes to my rescue. 

2 comments:

D.S.Murty said...

I totally agree with you. I too love reading books alot... since my childhood..later during college days and later during medicine.some of my friends named my condition as 'introvert'. i dont know whether it is correct or not. but i used to derive so much of pleasure from the books which many friends can not give. the pleasure of getting some insight.. the pleasure of understanding 'between the line and behind the line views' of the author.. the pleasure of keeping the mind as an active listener.. and the pleasure of conceiving new ideas which will fight among themselves to come out onto paper..!
But.. after marriage, the habbit gradually declined as my wife was not very much interested in books and i had to explore common areas of interest (like gardening on sundays or music) to make her happy for whatever little time i can spend at home (it was usually 7pm or so by the time i reach home during my MD and while working in NIMS and i had to leave by 6 AM; few hours to be devoted for studying between 7pm to 6 am). Now after coming to tirupati, though the time is relaxed, we became busy with our (now 3-year old) son...with whom i spend most of my time at home. if any time is left, that will be eaten away by internet. i feel , though internet is very helpful, it has addictive capacity..Now, my wife understands that i love reading books alot and started encouraging me to read books...hundreds of books i collected over time. but, i could not break inertia.. i could not spend time to read books apart from medical journals or reference books. i kept postponing reading books on and on... like keats unheard melodies. a book in my almarah looks at me like a waiting friend (as you said ). I keep it waiting .. and while (verb) away with the new lover , the internet, with all its glitter...while (conjunction) my books eternally wait for me that i will realize that they are waiting for me and come back to them in a little while (noun). it is time that i shoud change .. and start devoting some time for books too. Thanks alot for your stimulaing views, reviews and collections in your blog and pustakam as well.

D.S.Murty said...

Oh.. i forgot to put title to my comment. it is:

"Books v. internet"